Life is a sweetly layered cake.

Earn Money by Clicking

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Boots w00Ts

Just after our intensive Korean language summer class, Yang Min-ae sonsaengnim asked us if we want to go with her to Shikjang Mountain. She asked us to bring some foods, a bottle of water, and to come in comfortable attire. But I have never hiked a mountain before so I did not know what to expect. I thought that food and water would be just additional weight on my back and so I decided to just leave them behind. I also wore sandals because those were my most comfortable pair of footwear. Little did I know that this hike would be a hike of life and death; I starved and trembled. I thirst. Good thing that my sandals were as durable and comfy as I thought they would be. They brought me up the top and secured my climb down.

Moral lesson: What is food if you’re on bare foot?

My last hiking in Korea was in December last year. This time it was winter. I only had a pair of fabric rubber shoes. I know that the snow would seep into it and marinate my feet in water. And that would be nasty for any climber. So I decided to wear my boots. I know it’s crazy but my boots are the next best thing to having none at all. And I’ve learned my moral lesson from last summer (aside from not bringing food and water). Anyway, my savior boots look much like Justin Boots and I would not hesitate buying this brand if just for the sentimental value; my climbing boots have already chapped away.

No comments: